This page provides a list of updates made to the site.
If you're a regular visitor make this the page you visit first to check where the new material can be found.
- 17 May 2012
- The Web Design index page has a link to a new page on using Split View. The DOM Explorer page has been updated to include a fuller introduction.
- 23 Apr 2012
- The Web Design index page has been reorganised again. All KompoZer Techniques are once again placed together in a single section. A new page showing how to Link to an Existing Stylesheet has been added to the site, linked from the Additional Master Page Features section.
- 9 Dec 2011
- Following a couple of recent messages suggesting that navigation through the Web Design course on the site was not intuitive, I have redesigned things.
Now, to strengthen understanding that the site is based on Kompozer 0.8b3, all relevant links that appear on the Index page of the Web Design section will take the visitor to pages referring to KompoZer 0.8b3. (On most of these pages an "0.7.10" button appears at the top of the vertical menu that take you to the page of equivalent instructions for that version. (You can return using a "0.8b3" button.)
At the same time, there has been some reorganisation of the presentation of the material. With the Site Manager page being combined with the KompoZer Installation page, while the recommended Add-ons are now on their own page, having been removed from the Installation page. The links to KompoZer tips and Techniques have also been split in two sections on the Web Design page, in an attempt to place them at the point in learning when they would be more relevant. Finally, some minor wording changes appear in the renamed Developing the Master Page section of the Master Page tutorial, to clarify points made there.
- 10 Oct 2010
- As the photograph of me was six years old, it was time for an update! A new image, taken a few days ago, now appears on every page.
The entire Web Design section has been re-written. It now has separate sections covering general Web Design and Hosting issues KompoZer 0.7.10 and KompoZer 0.8b3.
- 22 Feb 2010
- In the Digital Photography section, minor improvements to the wording have been made to the Program Interface page.
- 27 Nov 2009
- In the Digital Photography section, a page on the use of the Unsharp Mask has been published.
- 16 Nov 2009
- In the Web Design section, improvements have been made to the wording of the Menu Design page.
- 9 Oct 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Placing the Cursor page has been revised to generalise the description of the technique and improve the wording of the examples.
- 1 Oct 2009
- In the Digital Photography section, the Layers page has had a major re-write to add extra examples and accommodate the changes in The GIMP v2.6.7.
- 29 Sep 2009
- In the Digital Photography section, the Interface and Customising pages have been re-written to accommodate the changes in The GIMP v2.6.7.
- 16 Sep 2009
- In the Web Design section, there is a new page, is linked from the Customising the Master Page section and several other pages, on Adding a Wrapper, the conventional technique for constraining page width. The Thumbnail Gallery page has been re-written once again. This time the underlying code is greatly simplified and based on a list rather than a generic container. There's advice on various ways to customise it too!
- 21 Aug 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Thumbnail Gallery page has been re-written and now provides guidance for galleries with a variety of thumbnail and caption sizes.
- 6 Aug 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Master Page styling instructions have been modified. The new version does not require the column to be shorter than the main content of the page.
- 27 Jul 2009
- In the Web Design section, on the Menu Design page, in the section on the Vertical Menu, clarifications have been made to the text on how to incorporate the menu into the page.
- 20 Jul 2009
- In the Web Design section, a further tip has been added on the Menu Design page, in the section on the Centred Menu on ways to incorporate the menu into the page.
- 13 Jun 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Box Model page has been revised in attempt to clarify various issues that many beginners find confusing.
- 2 Jun 2009
- In the Web Design section, there is an added note in the Master Page tutorial to help users who had been skipping a crucial instruction in the #hmenu CSS code (and a typo has been corrected!).
- 7 Apr 2009
- In the Web Design section, there has been a minor change to the CSS code in the Preferred Curved Corners demonstration file. This overcomes an issue with Internet Explorer.
- 3 Apr 2009
- In the Web Design section, there has been a minor change to the wording of the Master Page tutorial to clarify the how to create the containers.
- 17 Mar 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Third Column tutorial has been re-written to be consistent with the revised Master Page tutorial. The Master Page and Curved Corners tutorials have had some minor revisions.
- 11 Mar 2009
- In the Web Design section, the Master Page tutorial has been completely re-written. It now uses a menu design built on an unordered list. A new page has been added describing how to create a number of alternative Menu Designs. Links to this page appear on the other pages in the Customising the Master Page group.
- 2 Mar 2009
- In the Web Design section, a new page describing how to code a simple Image Gallery has been added. Links to this page appear on the other pages in the Customising the Master Page group.
- 24 Feb 2009
- The entire site has had a major rebuild pending some more material that is to be added to the site. The main purpose was to provide a more comprehensive menu and navigation system. The site had outgrown the original menu system.
Following a suggestion from a site user, on the Contact Me page (previously called "Feedback") a Donate button has been added.
In the Web Design Section the Index page has significant changes to reflect some of the forthcoming developments.
- 11 Feb 2009
- In the Digital Photography section, information on how to protect files from accidental change or deletion has been added to the Moving and Copy Files page.
- 9 Feb 2009
- In the Web Design section, a new page describing two methods for adding Curved Corners to blocks on a page. Links to this new page have been added to the Web Design Index page and the Adapting the Master Page.
- 4 Dec 2008
- In the Digital Photography section, information has been added on how to protect files from being overwritten on the Moving and Copying Files page.
- 3 Dec 2008
- In the Web Design section, additional instructions have been added to the page Building a Master Page that provides a colour change when the pointer is hovered over a menu button.
- 21 Nov 2008
- In the Web Design section, a new page Adding a Third Column has been added. It is linked from the page, Adapting a Master Page.
- 20 Nov 2008
- In the Web Design section, a new page Placing the Cursor has been added and linked from the Section Index and Adapting a Master Page pages.
- 19 Nov 2008
- In the Web Design section, the page Building a Master Page has had a further image added and minor revisions to improve the text.
- 16 Oct 2008
- The Web Design section has had a significant overhaul. The following pages are revised: Preparation and Size - The Issues. The following are new pages: Building a Master Page, Adapting a Master Page and The Box Model.
- 12 Oct 2008
- In the Digital Photography section, pages on Moving and Copying Files and Viewing Files using basic tools included with Windows, have been added.
- 7 Oct 2008
- In the Digital Photography section, the first page of a number planned to cover aspects of Windows useful to digital photographers has been added to the site. This one covers Printing. The Cropping page has also been revised.
- 20 Sep 2008
- In the Digital Photography section, some minor additions and clarifications have been made to the Layers page..
- 6 May 2008
- In the Web Design section, further explanations and clarifications have been made to the Linked Stylesheets page..
- 11 Apr 2008
- In the Digital Photography section, a Clone Stamp page has been added.
- 10 Apr 2008
- The site's menu system has been redesigned, to better reflect its two main sections. There has been some minor editing of the text on the Home Page and introductory Web Design and Digi Photo pages to reflect the new arrangements.
In the Digital Photography section, a Cropping page has been added.
- 6 Mar 2008
- In the GIMP section, the Layers page has been completed. Additional material appears on the GIMP Interface and Customising pages. The Introductory page has been revised to show further pages it is planned to add.
- 4 Mar 2008
- In the GIMP section, the Selections page has had minor changes made to the text and further images added.
- 22 Jan 2008
- The GIMP section has further detail added to the Selections page.
- 19 Jan 2008
- The site now has a static menu, rather than one that scrolls with the page.
The GIMP section has been expanded with the following new pages: Customising, Rotating Images, Selections, Using Layers.
Further details have been added to these existing pages: Program Interface, Levels Dialogue.
- 7 Dec 2007
- In the KompoZer Section, clarifications to the instructions on the Linked Stylesheets page have been made and a new image added.
- 29 Nov 2007
- A "favicon" depicting the combined KompoZer/GIMP logo, used on the home page of the site, has been added. This should display in the address bar, on tabs and the Favorites/Bookmarks of most browsers.
In the GIMP section, improved images have been added to the Introducing the GIMP page.
- 27 Nov 2007
- In the Web Design section, minor changes made to the text of the Size Matters page.
- 25 Nov 2007
- The site is expanded to include material on the GIMP, the open source image editor. Much work has been done to the underlying stylesheets that define the formatting of the site. Significantly, printed versions of the site's pages no longer include menus and other navigation features and have an alternative branding graphic (Try a print preview and see!).
The Home Page is changed to reflect the new section.
A new GIMP Section is added, including pages on the Program Interface, adjusting Contrast and Brightness, and the Levels Dialogue.
- 20 Nov 2007
- On the What's New, CLAiT and Feedback pages, new graphics appear at the top right of each page.
- 12 Nov 2007
- Minor change made to the main stylesheet, emboldening and changing the colour of certain borders Throughout the site removed ALT text, where the images were decorative only.
On Web Design section pages, inserted a new graphic at the top right of each page.
- 10 Nov 2007
- In the KompoZer section, on the Linked Stylesheet page, there are some minor wording changes and an additional image to help clarify the instructions.
- 28 Sep 2007
- Minor styling changes to the entire site (including moving the page dates to the bottom of the page.)
- 25 Sep 2007
- In the KompoZer section, there are new pages that discuss The (£) Pound Sign and creating Layers
- 24 Sep 2007
- Site Launched.